Last year September 2007 Chris Ferguson managed to achieve a zero to $10,000 challenge. In his experiment Chris started with a fresh newly installed Full Tilt Poker account, and joined several poker freeroll tournaments until he managed to earn some real money which he then used for buy-ins. He used the following rules to help him along the way. Without any deposits Chris managed to earn $10,000 in 16 months of playing online at FullTiltPoker.
Download and play Full Tilt Poker for free using WAP as your FullTilt Poker Bonus Code.
Here are some tips on how achieved it:
- Chris only bought into a real-money game or a Sit and Go for less than 5 percent of his bankroll, except for buy in less than $2.50
- Chris only bought into multi-table tournaments for less than 2 percent of his bankroll; except for $1 MTT
- During any No Limit/Pot Limit cash table game the money on the table represented more than 10 percent of his total bankroll, he would leave the game just before blinds had reached him.
Chris Ferguson played for more than seven months before he reached a steady bankroll of $6.50. Chris finally made a breakthrough when he came 2nd in a $1 buy-in tournament winning $104 against a field of 683 players. Nine more months later he broke the 10K mark.
Chris Ferguson comments: “Even today, people don’t believe it’s really me when I sit down at Full Tilt’s small stakes games. They ask what I’m doing down here, and often tell me stories about how they turned $5 into $500 or $100 into $1,000. Usually, these stories end with the person telling me that they went broke. There’s no surprise there. These folks tried to quickly build a bankroll by gambling. They’d play in a game that was beyond their bankroll and, if they happened to win, they’d move up to a higher limit and risk it all one more time. Inevitably, they’d lose a few big hands and go broke.”
“For me, this experiment isn’t about the money. It’s about showing how, with proper bankroll management, you can start from nothing and move up to the point where you’re playing in some pretty big games. I know it’s possible because I did it once before, turning $1 into $20,000.”
- Earned 5 World Series of Poker Bracelets
- Earned 2 World Series of Poker Rings
- World Series of Poker Main Event Winner 2000
Chris Ferguson donated his 10K challenge winnings to the Save the Children Foundation.